Sunday, December 6, 2009

Jeremy From Boise - Will Not Always Be

Go here to listen or download: http://jeremyfromboise.bandcamp.com/track/will-not-always-be

This song? It's basically a "carpe diem" type thing, I think. A friend once went to see Daniel Johnston perform and apparently in between a pair of songs Daniel Johnston proclaimed, "Millions of people have already died."
I don't know where he gets his numbers from, but I'm sure there's some strong evidence supporting that estimate. Whenever someone dies, whether it's a celebrity or a junkie, some people want to attach themselves to that person's legacy by holding a vigil, making a quilt, or simply claiming to have been very close to the deceased. I've always thought that was a selfish way to acknowledge someone else's loss. I think that is what the first section of the song is about. The second part of the song must be about living life to its fullest.

Will Not Always Be


They went on, beyond human reach
Let a hole going on deeper still
Illusion blown, not always welcome
Still maintain they're the nearest to you
Always faint in the core

It's critical that we get things straight
You are and will not always be
I am and will not always be
So as long as you wear it, make it dance.

This song is the lead-off track on the new collection of recordings by me, released under the least pretentious artist name that I could muster, Jeremy from Boise. I know that there are other Jeremys from this town, and I don't claim to be the only or the best. Some of the other Jeremys in Boise (or from here) are even better songwriters or better sound engineers. I simply chose the moniker because that's what many friends across the country know me as. If you are a Jeremy that is somehow connected to Boise, Idaho and have suffered due to the production of my music under this name and affiliation that we share, I apologize.

No comments: