Friday, December 4, 2009

There are Millions becomes a "record" label!

The first release will be from me, "Jeremy from Boise."
here's the link: http://jeremyfromboise.bandcamp.com/track/trying-to-quit-xmas
This first release is a collection of solo works that span from 1999 to 2005. The entire album will be available for download and you'll be able to name your own price. I certainly won't blame you for not paying anything, as I'm a fan of free music, too. Each time I post another track I will be sending out an email and posting about it on the blog. Each email will include my thoughts and the lyrics (when applicable) to the song. I'm interested in this approach because most of the people on the Millions list are also my friends and I'd like to share this part of my life and thought process with you. I feel like I should eliminate the possible misconception that I really "write" lyrics. Mostly they flow out of me and make little to no sense at the time of writing, but eventually I understand them. It's kind of like automatic writing to a meter and melody.
> The first song is not the lead-off track of the album, but a song from several years ago that is relevant to this current season; A song about desolate winters in the high desert. It was recorded using Venec's toy guitar and the $99 Casio keyboard with song-bank that I made my parents by me for Christmas several years earlier. The song itself is about a rather miserable situation/season and trying to make the most of it. Lyrics below:

Trying to Quit Xmas
In all warm and fuzzy, outside cold desert wind
and drunk you've knocked down some people here and there.
Why settle for the fall when it calls up on the phone?
Just take away your house.

My belief in loss is tried and true

I might here have a bottle, or some money to pitch in.
Tradition is nice but for fitting in.
My skin dry and cracking, my thoughts are of endings,
Now I'm trying to protest and I'm trying to quit christmas.

This song originally appeared on a cassette compilation of other songs relating to the holiday. I think that most of the other songs included on the compilation may have been more pro-christmas than this one.

No comments: